Posting: September 1, 2020
Deadline: October 1, 2020
Romero House is a community and charitable organization that welcomes refugee claimants in its transitional housing and offers settlement services and a sense of home based in the West Bend neighbourhood of Toronto.
We are seeking an expert WordPress Developer, experienced UX Designer and personable communicator to help Romero House re-think how to strategically present our organization’s vision, services, needs, engagement opportunities, and advocacy work. Mindful of our audience of refugees, neighbours, donors, prospective workers, employees and other stakeholders, the new website must speak clearly to many audiences.
Current Website: https://romerohouse.org/
- Photoshop or similar program
- HTML, CSS3, PHP
- Ability to use a future-friendly WordPress Page-Builder Theme to avoid the need for another redesign in the near future. We like this theme: http://www.bateauxtheme.com/
- Ability to collaborate on a Web Strategy document that will become the guide for scope of work
- A communications sensibility to be able to articulate mission and vision to different audiences with some copywriting experience. Experience communicating with English Second Language speakers is an asset, but not a requirement.
- A track record of delivering attractive and user friendly WordPress sites that have simplified the work of clients.
Scope of Work
- Strategy — Create a Web Strategy Document that: identifies audiences, establishes tone, details site architecture, identifies WordPress plugins to be used and drives the web development process. The Web strategy document should include timelines that ensure accountability. Web Strategy Document to be developed in consultation with key staff and community members of Romero House and approved by the Director prior to commencement of design and WordPress site development work
- Design — Establish a web design style (typography design, colour palette and how imagery will be used) that is consistent across the new website’s pages, is modern and presents a relational and human face for Romero House. Page mockups, in particular the home page, to be designed in Photoshop or a similar program. Designs to be approved by the Director before proceeding with WordPress Site Development
- WordPress Site Development — All pages, as outlined in the Strategy Document, to be laid out using the chosen WordPress theme’s page-builder
- WordPress and Theme Tutorial — Train Romero House staff and workers on how to manage and update all page content. Includes an annual tutorial for new workers each September.
- Ongoing Web Support — account for an annual round of web updates (approx 5-10 hours worth)
- Logo — Vector rebuild of existing logo, including refinement/modernization of shapes
- CRM — make sure that the web site is synced powerfully with the CRM being used by Romero House (mostly this has to do with Contact Forms, currently embedded from Canada Helps)
Crucial Web / UX Understandings — The Chosen Candidate/Company Must:
1. Understand the comparative advantages of using Gutenberg Blocks vs. a Third-Party page-builder theme
2. Create WordPress page layouts that are easy enough to update, ensuring zero coding mistakes will be made by Romero House staff:
— styles and editable HTML should be kept out of the page layouts/hidden from staff trying to edit pages/content
— when customizing a theme’s code, a Child theme is to be used to ensure the theme’s core can be updated in the future without losing any custom code
— the use of custom-written shortcodes is encouraged instead of placing HTML in any layouts
3. Have a solid understanding of responsive web design and CSS breakpoints — it is crucial to present a MOBILE-FIRST web presence, as many of the refugees who visit our site do so on their cell phones
4. Understand the importance of a less-is-more approach to WordPress plugins so our staff doesn’t get confused by too many plug-ins.
5. Understand issues related to WordPress security and site backup maintenance.
6. Understand the importance of microcopy + champion all points of digital contact being well-written (from the Contact page to form notifications)
Preliminary Page Architecture –
In this early stage, we imagine about 15 unique pages including the following:.
Workers (Audience 1)
Donors + Supporters (Audience 2)
Refugees (Audience 3)
Donate (with embedded Canada Helps Donate Form)
What We Do
Team Staff + Workers
Partners / Collaborators
Issues Facing Romero House Residents
Use blog for highlighting Special Trips + Projects
Workers Application Pt 1
Integration with current social media (facebook, Instagram, …)
September 1, 2020 Posting of RFP
October 1, 2020 Deadline for RFP
November 2, 2020 Selection of Provider
November – January/February, 2020 Strategy and Design
March, 2020 New website launch
Please submit your proposal via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 1, 2020.
In addition to addressing the criteria raised in this RFP, please also include: introduction to you//your company and key differentiator(s), professional experience, links to sample work, budget, an outline of project process plan with timeline, and contact information for three references. The budget should be broken down to show the cost into the 7 elements listed in scope of work. As well, if you have a particular motivation to contribute to Romero House and its mission and vision, please include this as it will be beneficial to helping this spirit animate the web design process. Please also indicate if your proximity to Romero House would enable the consultation process to happen in-person, if the COVID public health situation allows for it too.
Proposals will be evaluated using a scoring matrix including capability to supply prescribed service (20 points), Proposed project plan and timelines (30 points), Experience with similar projects for not-for-profits/charitable organizations (10 points), Resonance with RH mission vision and values (10 points), Budget and value for money (20 points) and overall quality and fit (!0 points).
Proposals should not exceed 10 pages, including all references and appendix.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this opportunity and look forward to receiving your proposals.